Assignment due: Final Project Ideas
We will have a data cleaning workshop, in which we will prepare a dataset and then experiment with the dataset using network analysis as a method.
To do before class:
Go to https://openrefine.org/download.html and click either “Mac kit” or”Windows kit.” (No need for the embedded Java version) Then open your downloads folder and unzip* the file. Double-click on openrefine.exe or refine.bat if the latter does not work.
*If you are on a Windows system, you may need an additional piece of software called WinRAR. You do not have to buy it. You can download it for free here: https://www.win-rar.com/start.html?&L=0. Click on “Download WinRAR,” then click “Download WinRAR” again in the box that appears. Save the file, then run the installer. Once it finishes, you should be able to right click on the OpenRefine zip file and click “Extract Here.” Then follow the rest of the instructions above.
Look through/watch walkthrough of network analysis software
- Flourish (https://flourish.studio) – Walkthrough
- Databasic.io Connect the Dots (https://www.databasic.io/en) – Walkthrough
- Look at Data, Kieran Healy, Data visualization: A practical introduction, 2018
- Claude McKay: New Site, Expanded Project (with Network Diagrams), Amardeep Singh, 2016
- Networks – either read blog posts OR watch video explaining networks